Dr. Fulghum's Bare Back Facts
- As people age, back pain and loss of height
may be due to thinning of the discs.
- A physical therapist does the greatest
good for people with back pain by breaking bad habits of posture and poor
- When anti-inflammatory medicines, muscles
relaxers, walking and/or exercises are instituted immediately, episodes
of back pain due to a sprained muscle usually lasts no longer than six
- A sprained back and ruptured disc may produce
similar symptoms, but the sprain usually heals within six weeks.
- Ruptured, slipped and herniated discs are
the same things.
- A patient with a ruptured disc in the neck
or back may have a normal spinal X-ray but will usually have an abnormal
- A ruptured disc or bone spur requires surgery
only if the severe pain and weakness persists despite conservative measures
such as medication, exercise and steroid injections.
- Very few people with ruptured discs require
- Sitting increases pressure in the lower
back discs five times more than standing does.
- The first back operation is the most important.
- After lumbar disc surgery, most people
return to their former level of activity within six weeks.
- People who smoke usually have back pain
for longer periods.
- Women are not the only ones to get osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is preventable in both men and women when diagnosis is made
read more »